Sunday, March 14, 2010

7 weeks to go...

Marathon #7 is creeping closer and closer. I don't know where the time has gone, but I'm a bit surprised that it's nearly here! So far, training has gone pretty well.

I'm following a higher mileage plan this time around (Hal Higdon - Intermediate II). I wanted to do this for a few reasons. #1 - I wanted to change things up a little and not do the same exact plan. #2 - High mileage tends to be really difficult for me. The higher mileage weeks in previous plans were always the ones I had the most trouble completing.

When I do high mileage, I either burn out quickly or get so frustrated, that I walk more or slack on pace. So, THIS plan called for 3 - 50 mile weeks (including 3 - 20 milers) and I wanted to see if I could do it.

The most I've ever run in a week is 44 miles, and it was not what I would call easy or fun. Today, I hit a milestone - I ran 45 miles in one week! I know, for some of you runners, that is an "easy" week, but for me, it's an accomplishment of sorts.

I caught a cold last week, which meant I had to cut my mileage a bit short. So, I went into this week (still a little sick) hoping for the best. My plan called for 2x5 milers, 2x10 milers, and a 20 miler.

I took Monday off, because I was still feeling pretty crappy. I decided to see what I could do Tuesday, and ended up running an easy 10 miler. The weather is changing here, so I was excited to run Wednesday night as it was gorgeous. I had a good 5 mile run and felt great. I took Thursday off, in preparation for Friday's 20 miler.

By Friday, I was still sniffling, but not nearly as sick as the week before. Carrie and I had perfect weather for our 20, so we were pumped. The miles and time flew by and I ran it the fastest I've ever run 20 miles.

I debated running 5 Saturday morning, but I had a pretty busy day ahead, so I slept instead. Today, it was 54 degrees here! Unbelievable! So, I just HAD to get out there, no matter the mileage. I decided I'd just see how my legs felt and do whatever felt good. I ended up running a great 10 miler. It felt SO good to wear shorts and a t-shirt...ahhh!

My legs felt relaxed and the pace was perfect. The last 4 miles were a bit slower, as I was running into a fairly strong headwind. But, I enjoyed the entire run!

So, that brings me to 45 miles for the week. Here is why it's a big deal to me. It wasn't hard, I wasn't dragging my feet to go run today. My legs didn't feel like 150 pound weights attached to my hips.

Also, I'm not quite back to 100% yet. So, if I was able to do this while a little sick, I'm anxious to see what I can do when I'm healthy.

Do I think I can do 100 mile weeks? Um, no...I can say with some certainty that I won't have a desire to do that, ever!

Here's to hoping the rest of training goes well and leads to a PR at marathon #7!

1 comment:

Sarah Lubach said...

Way to go, Girl! You'll be running 25 in a day just like me in no time! Kidding, of course. . . I am very impressed!