Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Laziness...

Hot on the heels of my last upbeat blog entry, comes this entry.

A few weeks ago, I caught a cold, my first in a long time. It knocked me out for the weekend, but after that I felt fine. Mind you, I was still coughing and going through 1,000 tissues a day, but at least I didn't want to die anymore.

Well, as of today, I'm still sneezing, sniffling, and coughing. Ugh!!! In my head, I've had this cold for about 5 days. I took a look at my calendar and realized that this all started on March 2. Oopsy, I guess it's really hanging on!

I ran Monday and Tuesday and felt ok, but not 100%. The plan was to run an easy 6 miler today after work. I wasn't too enthused about it and was hoping my mood would change once I started.

I came home from work and changed into my running clothes. I turned on the Garmin and waited for the signal to pick up. I turned on my IPOD. I took off...

Fast forward (at a very slow, pathetic pace) three blocks. I have now switched to a walk. Fast forward another two blocks, I've stopped.

Now I'm considering my options. I could turn this into a run/walk and just log the miles. I could keep walking for a few miles and at least do something. I mean, it IS gorgeous outside!

Alas, I turned around and walked home. So, tonight's workout lasted a whopping 6 minutes and 3 seconds. Whoa, Nelly!

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I took the trouble to put ON workout clothes, only to be gone for a few minutes.

But here's the thing, this happens. I don't know that I've ever punked out like this before, but I'm sure it's happened to someone, right? Please tell me I'm not wrong about this!

Rather than struggle through the 6 miles tonight, knowing I wasn't feeling well, I decided rest was better. Those of you who know what a stickler I am for a plan, know how hard it is for me to go OFF the plan. So, I must have been tired/sick, right?

Here's hoping I can still get in some quality runs this week! More importantly, I should probably continue to focus on rest, as this cold (potential sinus infection) doesn't seem to be going anywhere!

2 comments:

Jen Rife said...

YOU NEED TO REST! I believe I told you a couple weeks ago to get back to 100% and THEN get back to training. Your body is trying to tell you it needs a break. Listen to it.

Take it easy, feel better soon, and don't get frustrated if you have to modify your training plan! You will do just fine come race day!

Keith said...

REST!! You need to rest. I'm just on the tail end of kicking a cold. Normally I'm down for a few days, then back at it. I think I got it from rattling pool water around in my sinuses before fully recovering from the last cold. This has been nearly 3 weeks, and I'm just getting back into it now. Go for the rest.