Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Catch up...part deux

Seriously, I have no idea what happened to the month of August. Absolutely. No. Idea!

Work has been busy, weekends have been busy...

OK, we'll start with running. For a while now, running has been a real chore. I've felt tired on runs and just really struggled with it in general. In mid-August, I ran a 10K race. Well, saying I ran it is generous...I pretty much willed myself to finish. In my defense, it was a very hot and humid morning, but still - the race shouldn't have gone that bad. I was winded, nauseous, and light headed.

Then, I attempted to run 18 miles the next day...I managed to complete 14.5, with a lot of walking. (My friend Denton is a true gem, for sticking with me, and for convincing me to stop.)

I talked to an elite runner friend of mine and sort of self diagnosed myself with anemia. I've been anemic before, but sort of slacked on taking my iron pills for a long while. So, now that I've been taking iron again...things are hopefully turning around.

I ran 2 half marathons within a week of one another and set a PR by over a minute. While I'm very happy to have PR'd, I really just wanted to run long and feel GOOD - for once. So, for both races, I was able to push myself but also feel strong. (Oh yah, and being able to breathe and not want to puke? Those are also good things!)

I went for a 10 mile run tonight and felt pretty good. It was 80 degrees with a breeze, but I felt good throughout. A month ago? I wouldn't have made it a few miles without dying.

So, I think things are turning around and I'm on the right track. Good thing, too...since my marathon is in 6 1/2 weeks!

OK, moving on to some fun stuff. I had my 2 nieces over for a sleepover at Auntie Mariah's. It was soooooo much fun! We colored, watched movies, ate pizza, painted nails, and just had a good time. And this past weekend, I took my nephew on a "date" to Chuck E. Cheese. I'm so fortunate to be an aunt.

My brother and his wife welcomed their first baby, Sydney, so I can't wait to meet her at the marathon. She's a doll and I can't wait to hold her!

The only other big news I can think of is that I will no longer have a ponytail after this weekend. The hair is getting chopped! I've had long, curly hair for a very long time and am just bored with it. I found a cut I really like and I'm hoping it works out. If not...I'll be on the hunt for a wig!

No comments: