Friday, January 2, 2009

To wear headphones, to not wear headphones...


This one is for all my fellow runners. Many of you are aware that in the last year, the USATF created and strictly enforced a no headphones rule at most races. I ran the 2007 Twin Cities Marathon with a few friends and that race also strictly enforced this ruling. We later found out that they went through all race photos and anyone wearing headphones was not only disqualified, but also disqualified from entering the 2008 Twin Cities Marathon. Can you imagine if you FINALLY qualified for Boston, but were disqualified for not abiding by the no headphone rule? (By the way, that's me in the blue shirt, Jen in the middle, & Carrie on the right, in the home stretch!)

My friends and I did abide by the rule and went without. Many of you might know that the 2007 TCM was the one of the hottest marathons that year - and I mean hot, as in the temperature. We were sweating after our 1 mile warm-up. I tried to keep a positive attitude at the start, but was feeling sluggish by mile 8. By mile 13, I just wanted it to be over. I was soaking wet and watching people puke, faint, or be shocked back to life every other mile.

My point is this - I believe that headphones should be allowed. I'm a disciplined runner and I happen to enjoy listening to music when I run. Yes, I sometimes leave the house without my IPOD and just go. Or, I run with friends and we talk the whole time. But, in general, I like to put on my playlist and just GO. I don't feel that the music is holding me back or taking focus away. In fact, I tend to run better/faster by myself, with music pumping in my ears!

I don't feel I've ever endangered other runners, bikers, or drivers by wearing headphones. I listen at a reasonable decibel and usually hear anyone/anything around me. Furthermore, most races are cordoned off and have an official course, where traffic must yield. I don't feel my headphones would pose a problem.

During the Twin Cities Marathon, I think I would have given anything to just have some good music going in my ears. I was well past my goal time and just trying to finish (alive). So, to hear a favorite song would have been such a boost! I could have gotten out of my head and some of my negative thoughts and just thought, "Wow, I love this song!" Instead my friends, Jen & Carrie (we all run different paces) and I, all caught up with each other and finished the race together.

I'm not going to win any marathon/race anytime soon, so I see no issue with me wearing headphones, or anyone else for that matter (as long as the volume isn't cranked up). I recently learned that the USATF amended this ruling. Time will tell whether race directors will continue to enforce the no headphones rule.

http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?duid=USATF_2008_12_22_10_22_16

The long and short of it is this: If I'm disciplined enough to train for and run 26.2 miles, shouldn't I be allowed to have whatever motivation I want (as long as it doesn't endanger others)?

I know the opinions on this issue are incredibly divided...just some food for thought!

Happy running!

No comments: